Saturday, March 14, 2009

20 1/2 weeks!

We had our 20 week ultrasound this week!

Kyle took the morning off of work and went with me, and we brought Elliot along too. It was great to be able to see the baby! What a little swimmer! The baby was Go! Go! Go! during most of the ultrasound- which didn't really surprise me because I've been feeling it, but it's still REALLY cool to be able to see it up on the screen.

Kyle and I have discussed finding out the gender many times, but as the date got closer, we've waivered a little in our decision NOT to find out. I think I was going to give in on Wednesday, but the tech said that the baby's cord was in the way every time she tried to see in case we wanted to know. So...all we know is that it's a BABY! I guess we'll trade off on she and he pronouns from now until July. The tech said that everything look good, that all the measurements seemed in tune w/ the due date (July 27th by the way) and that all major anatomy appeared to be in place.

I also had my 20 week check-up that day. Why is it that when you've got all the time in the world, and nothing going on the rest of the day, the appointments are right on time and you're in and out of the office before you know it...but when you've got somewhere to be they run an hour behind?

Someone I know lectured me about scheduling my appointment to close to when I was supposed to be at work. I just want to say...whatever. These OB appointments are supposed to be in and out- they do 5 simple things- 1) weigh in (agh. more on this later) 2) blood pressure 3) I get to pee in a cup 4) measure my tummy and 5) listen for the baby's heartbeat. Seriously? 10 minutes, tops.

So I get to my appointment on Wednesday- 10 minutes early. Thankfully, I'm Elliot-free since I have to go to work afterwards I just had my dad come over earlier. I check in, they tell me to have a seat and the nurse will be right with me. Keep in mind I come to these things with a full bladder so that I have the ability to pee on demand (a skill that used to terrify me as a child). My dr's nurse opens the door, and I think that it's my turn, but no...she calls back someone else. Hmmm. I'm now suspicious that they're not going to be "right with me".

15 minutes later I'm still sitting there. I go up to the desk and ask if they're running behind. The receptionist told me she didn't think so, but she'd check. She goes back and I can hear her talking to the nurse "Oh, does she have to pee? I'll be out in 5 minutes." 10 minutes later, I finally get called back.

First thing they have me do? Weigh in. This always irritates me. Oh my. Not only is it mid-agternoon so I've had two decent-sized meals (ALL of my other appts have been early in the morning), but my bladder is now SO fully that I can barely walk. AND, the scale is right by the nurses' station. Now, I know that those nurses are busy and have more important things to do than to worry about my pregnant weight gain, but I also know some of those nurses personally and I know for a fact they're a bit NOSEY! Also, the stupid scale is in Kilograms. Seriously, I know how to convert. So don't try to tell me you just multiply x 2.2. I KNOW this. I just don't want to have to do it. Haven't you heard about baby brain and how it doesn't just work the same when you're pregnant? A multi-step math problem is NOT what I was in the mood to do. So I didn't. The nurse jotted down my weight on my little take-home card and waited until later to do the math.

I still have to pee. I'm irritated w/ the scale situation (my old clinic had a scale in every room, in POUNDS), I'm late for work, and now it's time to take my blood pressure. 122/74. That probably sound pretty good to a lot of you (like there's a LOT of you reading this). That is HIGH for me. Last time was 108/68. Hmmmm.

Finally, I got to go pee in a cup. I probably could have peed in about 10 cups, but that's probably a little too much information.

Everything else is fine though. I had to wait another 10 minutes or so before the dr. came back, but I'm measuring just fine and the baby's heartbeat sounds amazing- every single time. :)

I leave the office, drive the 5 blocks over to the place where I tutor for a fraction of what the parents pay the center, and all is well....until I get home to do my "math" problem.

TEN POUNDS! I've put on TEN POUNDS IN A MONTH!!!!!!!!! Oh no. That is not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment